What is StopCrackEX?
Many fatigue cracks in bridge structures are drill stopped to repair the bridge. However, drill stopping may only stop a crack from growing for a short time. FTI’s StopCrackEX System cold expands a bushing into a drill stop, imparting residual compressive stresses around it, protecting it from cyclic loads. This large zone of residual compression around the drill stop greatly reduces crack growth, even when the drill stop misses the tip of the crack. Independent, third-party testing has shown that this repair method extends the fatigue life of the drill stop by over ten times.
StopCrackEX is based on FTI’s Cold Expansion System and products that are being used by virtually every commercial and military aircraft manufacturer worldwide to extend the fatigue life of holes in metallic structures. FTI’s 40 years of engineering expertise has lead us to become the world leaders in expanded products.
Benefits of the StopCrackEX System
• Arrests the growth of small cracks in holes
• Extends the fatigue life of drill stops by over 10 times
• Cost-effective alternative to redesign of the structure
• Installed bushing allows for positive visual inspection
• Simple and easy-to-use one-sided operation
• Reduces maintenance and inspection costs